STEPHANIE VAN DER PLANK
The Constitutional Court set aside the interim e-toll interdict last week Thursday.
Although certain legislation and technicalities need to be finalised, the recent ruling means Government can implement the tolling project right away.
Deputy Chief Justice, Dikgang Mosenek, said in his judgement on Thursday that, “This court unanimously opposes the appeal. The interim interdict granted by the [North Gauteng] High Court on 28 April is set aside.” The National Treasury allegedly approached the Constitutional Court to ask for the order to be overturned. They argued that the previous judgement, made by Judge Bill Prinsloo in April this year, was negatively affecting the country’s economy. They also stated that Sanral is losing approximately R225 million in revenue for every month that the tolling is delayed. The North Gauteng High Court will still hear a full review of the system in November. Eye Witness News quoted the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance’s (Outa) Chairperson, Wayne Duvenage, as saying that he doubts Sanral will be able to get e-tolls implemented before the November High Court review because there is too much that still needs to be done. “Sanral has always said they’re ready. In fact, at the Constitutional Court on 15 August, they said they’d be able to start within two weeks. Well here is the test,” said Duvenage. Government refused to comment on whether e-tolls would be implemented before the November court date. The implementation of e-tolling will see all Gauteng motorists, students included, paying up to 35c per km to use the respective highways. Revenue from the system will repay an approximate R20 billion debt taken out by Sanral in 2007 to construct and repair roads.